However, a “common” headache is sometimes overlooked and treated with simple painkillers which can be obtained over-the-counter. Hence, it is important to note the type of headache that is experienced in order to treat the symptoms effectively. A migraine is a type of headache which is characterized by absence or presence of aura, pounding pain, nausea, vomiting, and sensitivity to light and sound. This type of headache may last for days even with medicines. Severe migraines require treatment with prescriptions from doctors. Besides medicines that can be obtained from the doctors or over-the-counter, there are a few measures that can be taken to relieve the migraine symptoms naturally, as below:
- Change in diet: Diet plays an important role in relieving migraine. A few food and beverages that could trigger an episode of migraine are foods with nitrates, chocolates, cheese, beans, and alcohol, especially red wine. Although caffeine is said to ease a migraine, too much of caffeine could worsen the pain and lead to a withdrawal headache.
- Apply lavender oil: Inhaling lavender essential oil may reduce the migraine pain. Lavender oil may be inhaled indirectly or applied to the temples.
- Acupressure: Acupressure is the practice of applying pressure with fingers and hands to specific points on the body to relieve pain and other symptoms. It is a recommendable alternative therapy for people with a chronic headache and other conditions. This acupressure could also bring relief in conditions such as migraine-associated nausea.
- Feverfew: Feverfew is a flowering herb that is similar to daisy which is often used for migraines. It is also said that there are no side effects from the usage of this herb.
- Apply peppermint oil: The menthol in peppermint oil works to reduce the migraine pain. It is applied to the forehead and temples. This oil is also known to lessen migraine-associated nausea and light sensitivity.
- Ginger: Ginger is generally known to bring a number of benefits. It also helps to ease nausea and vomiting caused by a migraine. Ginger powder that is available now widely, known to decrease the severity of a migraine as well as the duration of each migraine episode. Ginger remedy also brings lesser or almost zero side effects to the users.
- Yoga: As we all know, yoga is a type of exercise that promotes a good overall well-being. Yoga practices involve breathing, meditation and different body postures in assisting a better health and comfort. Yoga is said to lessen the frequency, duration, and intensity of a migraine. Apart from that, it also reduces anxiety, releases tension in migraine-trigger areas and improves vascular health.
- Biofeedback: This is a relaxation therapy that helps to control autonomic responses towards stress and unusual triggers. This therapy could be helpful for those with a migraine in a way that it reduces the pain that is caused by a trigger. This trigger is normally related to physical reactions caused by stress such as muscle tensing.
- Additional magnesium in diet: Insufficient magnesium in the body is closely related to headaches and migraines. Supplements such as magnesium oxide aids in preventing migraines with aura. Menstrual-related migraines may also be improved with magnesium supplementations. It is important to note the magnesium sources in order to add them to your diet. Some of the foods that are rich in magnesium are almonds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, eggs, and milk.
- Book a massage: A routine massage may reduce migraine frequency dan duration. It may also improve sleep quality. Massage also aids in bettering perceived stress and coping skills. Heart rate, anxiety, and cortisol levels can be improved tremendously.
In a nutshell, a person who suffers from migraines will have a tough time battling the symptoms. It is important to understand the symptoms of a migraine in order to improve the symptoms as well as the frequency, intensity, and duration of each migraine episode. If the symptoms do not get better with the suggested remedies, it is advisable to seek medical attention for a better control of the condition.